My Grandmother’s 100 year life advice

I asked my Grandmother a couple of questions recently, as she is officially the oldest person I know. My Grandmother is amazing. She is definitely suffering some pretty intense physical issues that make life pretty uncomfortable, but she’s still going and bright as a button. In fact, Grandma checked herself into a nursing home three months ago – before that she lived in her own house. I reckon that’s amazing.

I wrote a blog about her 100 year old birthday last March, which was a pretty interesting experience, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she lives well beyond 101. I certainly admire her strength of character.

Anyways, I wanted to ask her thoughts on the meaning of life, because someone who lives that long has got to have an idea right? The great thing is that she did have some thoughts on these questions. If you ask a lot of "older" people they just don’t think about this stuff, so I was thrilled that she had and thought it was definitely worth sharing.

So here is Grandma Totties’ life advice for anyone who is interested.

Q1. What do you think is the meaning of life?
The meaning of life is to keep God in your life because sooner or later we will all have to give an account of our life when we meet God face to face.

Q2. What have you learnt in your hundred + years?
  • To treat people as you would like them to treat you
  • To help the underprivileged - e.g. Totties’ chooks in Mannya that I sponsored and the worming program for the village children, both in Uganda. I have done this sort of thing all through my life
  • To keep up with your religion - please don’t think that I am telling you what to do
  • Save some money for a rainy day so you won’t have to depend on other people in your old age

Q3. If you could give your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren any advice on life what would you say?

  • Live a good life, don’t take drugs, smoke or abuse alcohol and then you can die with no regrets
  • Always pay your way and don’t rely on credit cards - I have always paid cash for what I want
  • Keep God in your life and remember what you were taught as a child, the world might change but God doesn’t

So there you go. I think “God” has certainly taken on a new meaning for me, but some pretty good, basic advice from someone born in 1910. Thanks Grandma! May the rest of your life be happy and comfortable.

 
Yours, without the bollocks
Andrea

 

Comments

Popular Posts